Domestic crossovers

Apply for a domestic crossover

If you have space to park in your front garden, you can apply to have a slope built from the road to your gateway to make it easier to drive your vehicle in. This slope is referred to as a domestic crossover.

Before we approve your application for a domestic crossover, you will have to have an inspection by one of our Highways officers to see if it's feasible to have the crossover built and to confirm the cost for the works to be done. There is a £34 fee for this inspection. If we approve your application and you decide to go ahead with the works after the inspection, we will deduct the inspection fee from the cost of the works.

How do I apply for a domestic crossover?

You can apply for a domestic crossover and pay your inspection fee online:

Domestic crossover application and inspection fee payment form

Once we receive your application and £34 inspection fee, an officer from Highways will visit the property to assess its suitability for a crossover.

The general guidelines are:

  • crossovers can only be used for vehicles that weigh less that 3.5 tonnes
  • the minimum width of a crossover is 3.9 metres with wings (wings are where the crossover slopes back up to pavement level)
  • the maximum width is 5.4 metres with wings
  • the front garden needs to be at least 4.5 metres deep
  • you will need to have a hard area to park your car on

Meeting these guidelines doesn't automatically mean you can have a crossover. There may be other factors that we need to take into consideration.

Planning permission

In certain cases, particularly on principal roads or in conservation areas, you will need to get planning permission before applying for a domestic crossover.

If you think you need planning permission, contact our Planning department.

Council-owned property

If the property is council-owned, you will need to get permission to build a crossover from our Housing Services team.

Privately rented property

If you rent privately, your landlord's permission is required before you approach us.

Domestic crossover costs

Domestic crossover fees - 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019
Type of crossover request Fee
Domestic crossover £1,287 including £34 inspection fee
Extension to new crossover (300mm) £127
Extension to existing crossover (300mm) £186
White line across crossover £57
Crossover in a controlled parking zone and amendment required to the existing traffic order £2,576 (to cover the cost of the consultation and order-making process, and amendments to signing and lining)

Please note that there will be additional charges to cover the costs if an extension of an existing crossover requires the removal or re-siting of:

  • street furniture
  • trees
  • public utility apparatus

Quotations are valid for a period of three months. Should you wish to go ahead with the construction of a crossover we will deduct the inspection fee from the full cost.

  • After three months, if we have not received payment the inspection fee will no longer be deducted and you will need to reapply
  • You will not need to re-pay an inspection fee if it is within 12 months, or if it is not in a new financial year (beginning 1 April)

These charges are subject to annual review.

How to pay

Once a crossover has been approved, full payment will be requested. You can pay in several ways:

By cheque

Make your cheque payable to 'Royal Borough of Greenwich' and send it to the following address:

Technical Support
Fifth floor, The Woolwich Centre,
Wellington Street,
London SE18 6HQ

In cash

Cash payments can be made at cash offices at the Royal Borough of Greenwich's service centres. Please quote 'Fund 2 (17132)' to the cashier, and also please contact Highways on 020 8921 5419 to give your receipt number to speed up the process.

By credit or debit card

Please have your card with you and telephone the number on the right of this page.

How long does installation take?

We aim to install crossovers within eight weeks from the date the work is issued, weather permitting, and clearance of payment. It may take longer if street furniture or utility apparatus and so forth needs to be moved.

Can I apply if my parking space isn't ready yet?

We will not install a crossover unless there is a hardstanding area for your vehicle.

If this is not in place, you should apply for approval of a crossover before you build one.

You should have the parking area ready within three months of the date of your letter of approval. If you do not do this, you will be charged an additional administration charge of £50.

What if I change my mind?

You can get a refund if you pay for a crossover and then change your mind before building starts, but an administration fee of £25 will be charged.

Contact Highways

Fifth floor, The Woolwich Centre,
Wellington Street,
Woolwich SE18 6HQ

020 8921 5419