Noise from sewing machines
Avoiding noise nuisance from sewing machines
There are some simple precautions you can take to avoid causing noise nuisance from using your sewing machine. You can still make beautiful clothes without making a horrible noise.
Try not to use your sewing machine when the noise from it is likely to disturb neighbours. Recommended hours for homeworkers in the garment trade industry are:
- Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm
- Saturdays 9am to 1pm
- No work on Sundays and Bank Holidays.
- Place your machine as far from neighbours as possible, next to an internal wall of the property and not one adjoining a neighbour's property.
- Try to isolate the machine. Place it on a rubber mat or additional layers of carpet to reduce vibration.
- Make sure you have the sewing machine well-maintained. It will make more noise if it is not looked after.
- Ensure the machine is powerful enough for the cloth being used. If the material is too thick, the machine will be straining and will be making extra noise.
Deliveries and collections
Deliveries and collections should be between 9am to 6pm on weekdays and 9am to 2pm on Saturdays. No work should be carried out on Sundays and Public Holidays.