Registry records and certificates
Records of births, marriages and deaths
The Greenwich Register Office may be able to help you investigate your family tree.
The registry office holds records of every birth, marriage, civil partnership and death that has taken place in the borough and can provide copies of certificates on request - see below for how to order.
Greenwich registry office holds the original registers from 1837 to the present day.
Prior to 1969 the register office was split into sub-districts. This office holds the information for the following sub-districts:
- Greenwich East
- Greenwich West
- Plumstead East
- Plumstead West
- St Nicholas Deptford
- Woolwich Arsenal
- Woolwich Dockyard
Ordering a certificate
To request a copy certificate for a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership, you will need to know:
- The name of the person(s)
- The place of the birth, death, marriage or civil partnership
- The year of the birth, death, marriage or civil partnership
Certificates can be ordered by post or in person from the Register Office.
- Download copy birth certificate application form
- Download copy death certificate application form
- Download copy marriage certificate application form
- Download copy civil partnership certificate application form
Certificates cost £10 per copy and you can pay by cheque payable to the Royal Borough of Greenwich, or postal order. You can also order a certificate online from the General Register Office.
You cannot search the register. The law does not allow the registers themselves to be searched. We are happy to make a search of the indexes on your behalf, but only for specific entries - we cannot undertake extensive research for family history.