Housing Aid Centre - help with housing issues

Help and advice for tenants and homeowners

The Housing Aid Centre helps people to resolve disputes with landlords or mortgage lenders, including problems with arrears, maintenance issues, harassment and illegal eviction.

We offer help and advice to:

  • private rented tenants
  • housing association tenants
  • homeowners with mortgage arrears and other problems.

Private and housing association tenants

Housing Aid Centre staff can give you advice on:

  • what to do if your landlord has served you with a notice or if you are facing eviction
  • your rights as a tenant and security of tenure
  • rents and claiming Housing Benefit, for example we can help you to:
    • negotiate an agreement to make payments towards rent arrears
    • resolve problems with your Housing Benefit claim
    • resolve disputes over your deposit
  • how to tackle disrepair - working with the Royal Borough's environmental health teams to ensure landlords carry out any repairs that are needed.

Housing Aid Centre officers also represent private and housing association tenants at county court hearings.


Advisers at the Housing Aid Centre can help if you are a homeowner who's having difficulty paying the mortgage. We can sometimes negotiate with lenders on your behalf.

You should contact the service as soon as there are problems, as the earlier negotiations start the more successful they are likely to be.

The Housing Aid Centre can also represent you in possession proceedings at the local county court. There are usually advisers available at the court when possession hearings are taking place.

Harassment and eviction

If you believe your landlord is trying to force you out of your home, or is harassing you or your family, contact the Housing Aid Centre as soon as possible. If you feel physically threatened, you should phone 999 and ask for the police.

The Housing Aid Centre will investigate complaints and may be able to help you get back into your home if you have been unlawfully evicted. They can also help you to bring a prosecution against your landlord.

Housing Aid Centre also investigates complaints of:

  • racial harassment in private housing
  • harassment on grounds of disability, religion, sexuality or gender.

Read more about the rules a landlord must follow on Gov.UK

Contact the Housing Aid Centre

Our drop-in advice centre is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm at the Woolwich Centre.

Housing Aid Centre,
Upper ground floor, Woolwich Centre,
35 Wellington Street,
Woolwich SE18 6HQ

020 8921 2863

020 8921 2636