What to do if you are ill

Medical services and advice

If you or someone you know feels ill, there are a number of services you can turn to for help, both during and out of work hours.

NHS Direct

NHS Direct has a self-help guide that contains general information on the best course of action to take, when you or one of your household is ill. The guide is available online, on Sky interactive TV, and in the back of the Thomson Local Directory. There is also a 24-hour telephone medical helpline service available from NHS Direct. You can speak to an experienced staff member anytime on 0845 4647. Doctors are always on hand to help, even at night and on weekends.

Emergencies only

Local hospitals are increasingly under strain from people visiting with minor ailments. To allow doctors to concentrate on seriously ill patients, you should only go to casualty in an emergency or if you have been advised to attend by your pharmacist, NHS Direct or your GP.

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital is the general hospital for Royal Greenwich. It has an accident and emergency department that offers a minor injury service. There is also a dedicated children's accident and emergency section.


Pharmacists can provide health advice and suggest the best form of medication for common illnesses.

Walk-in centres

NHS walk-in centres offer fast and convenient access to a range of NHS services. These include health information, advice and treatment for a range of minor illnesses like coughs, colds and infections, and minor injuries like strains, sprains and cuts.

Doctors and dentists

You can find your nearest doctor, optician, dentist or pharmacist on the NHS Direct website.

Out of hours GP service

A GP service is available 24 hours a day. In Royal Greenwich, this service is provided by Greenwich and Bexley Doctors On Call (GRABADOC).

Call GRABADOC on 020 8319 3030 if you need to see a GP overnight between the hours of 6.30pm and 8am on weekdays, or over the weekend between 6.30pm on Friday and 8am on Monday, or on a bank holiday. Please note that this service is for Royal Greenwich and Bexley residents only.