Freedom Pass

Eligibility for an older person's Freedom Pass

The eligible age for the older persons' Freedom Pass was linked to the women's state retirement age from April 2010. The Pensions Act 2011 moved this retirement age from 65 to 66 in 2020. This came into force on 3 January 2012.

People born after 6 April 1953 have to wait longer to receive their Freedom Pass and people born on or after 6 October 1954 will have to wait to their 66th birthday to get their pass.

Visit the London Councils website to calculate when you will be eligible for a Freedom Pass.

The Freedom Pass for older people is funded by your local council and gives free travel on most public transport in London 24 hours a day (after 9.30am on most National Rail services within the London area), including all day at weekends and on public holidays. This pass may also be used to travel on local bus services in the rest of England under the terms of the Concessionary Bus Travel Act 2007.

You can apply for the Older Persons Freedom Pass if you meet the age criteria and your sole or principal residence is in the Royal Borough of Greenwich.

Sixty-plus Oyster card

A discounted travel scheme has been introduced for London residents aged 60 or over. You will be able to apply for a new Oyster photocard that will be valid until you are eligible for a Freedom Pass.

The new Oyster photocard will be valid for travel on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and most National Rail services in London.

Find out more about the sixty-plus Oyster on the TFL website.

Contact the Mobility Team

Second floor, The Woolwich Centre,
35 Wellington Street,
London SE18 6HQ

020 8921 2388