Freedom Pass

Apply for a disabled person's Freedom Pass

To apply for a disabled person's Freedom Pass, download and complete the application form and return it to the address given on the form with:

  • a passport photograph
  • written evidence of your disability if stated in the application form
  • two items showing proof of address - read on for examples.

If you think you qualify under the secondary criteria, you may be asked to hand in a form for your consultant to complete (with stamp and signature).

If you are applying for or renewing the Disabled Person's Freedom Pass, please note that it can take six to ten weeks before you receive your pass.

Download the disabled person's Freedom Pass application form

Help with completing the forms

If you have trouble downloading or printing the forms, or you need help completing them, contact the Mobility Team or visit one of our service centres, The Woolwich Centre or The Eltham Centre.

Find the Royal Borough of Greenwich service centres

Proof of address

You can provide any two items from this list as proof of your address:

  • current Council Tax bill, letter or payment book 
  • current council or housing association rent book 
  • current TV licence 
  • residential utility bill (excluding mobile phone bills) 
  • bank or building society statement dated within the last three months 
  • HM Revenue and Customs letter  
  • Council Tax bill dated within the last three months 
  • Department of Work and Pensions letter
  • occupational pension letter.

Disabled and under 18?

If you are under 18 and disabled, it is better for you to apply for a Freedom Pass than to use free travel for under-18s. A Freedom Pass will allow you to travel for free on trains. Free travel for under-18s who are not Freedom Pass holders does not extend to trains.

What happens next

If your application is approved, we will send you a letter confirming approval and your Freedom Pass will be sent directly to you from London Councils.

How to appeal

If you are refused a Freedom Pass you can appeal. Please put your appeal in writing to the Mobility Team and enclose supporting information from a GP or consultant. If you are refused a pass again, you must wait six months before reapplying if circumstances change.

Renewing your disabled person's Freedom Pass

Freedom Passes have a set renewal date every five years regardless of when you received your Freedom Pass.

If you are a disabled pass holder, you will receive a renewal application form in the year of renewal. To renew your pass, return the completed form before the stated deadline.

Find out more about Freedom Pass renewal

Applying for a replacement

To replace your lost, stolen or faulty Freedom Pass, please call London Councils on 0300 330 1433 and leave the following details after the tone:

  • Your name
  • Your date of birth
  • Your daytime telephone number
  • Whether the pass is lost, stolen or faulty

London Councils will deal with your request.

Contact the Mobility Team

Second floor, The Woolwich Centre,
35 Wellington Street,
London SE18 6HQ

020 8921 2388

Learn more: Benefits for the sick and disabled

If you are long-term sick or disabled, you may wish to find out about benefits available to you.

Benefits for the sick and disabled