Apply for or renew a Freedom Pass

Apply for a disabled person's Freedom Pass

To apply for a disabled person's Freedom Pass, first check that you're eligible.

Then download and complete the application form and return it to the address given on the form with:

  • a passport photograph
  • written evidence of your disability if stated in the application form
  • two items showing proof of address.

If you think you qualify under the secondary criteria, you may be asked to hand in a form for your consultant to complete (with stamp and signature).

If your application is approved, we'll send you a letter confirming approval and your Freedom Pass will be sent directly to you from London Councils. It can take six to ten weeks to receive your pass.

Download the disabled person's Freedom Pass application form

Help with completing the forms

If you have trouble downloading or printing the forms, or you need help completing them, contact the Mobility Team or visit one of our service centres.

Proof of address

You can provide any two items from this list as proof of your address:

  • current Council Tax bill, letter or payment book 
  • current council or housing association rent book 
  • current TV licence 
  • residential utility bill (excluding mobile phone bills) 
  • bank or building society statement dated within the last three months 
  • HM Revenue and Customs letter  
  • Council Tax bill dated within the last three months 
  • Department of Work and Pensions letter
  • occupational pension letter.

Disabled and under 18?

If you're under 18 and disabled, it's better for you to apply for a Freedom Pass than to use free travel for under-18s as the Freedom Pass includes free travel on trains.

Renewing your disabled person's Freedom Pass

Freedom Passes have a set renewal date every five years regardless of when you received your Freedom Pass.

If you are a disabled pass holder, you will receive a renewal application form in the year of renewal. To renew your pass, return the completed form before the stated deadline.

Find out more about Freedom Pass renewal

Applying for a replacement

To replace your lost, stolen or faulty Freedom Pass, please contact London Councils.

Review a decision

If we decide that you're not eligible for a disabled person's Freedom Pass you can request a review of the original decision and a different assessor will look at your case. 

You can also ask for a review if there is a significant change in your circumstances, or after six months have passed.

Put your request in writing to the Mobility Team and send supporting information from a GP or consultant.

Contact the Mobility Team

Second floor, The Woolwich Centre,
35 Wellington Street,
London SE18 6HQ

020 8921 2388

Learn more: Benefits for the sick and disabled

If you are long-term sick or disabled, you may wish to find out about benefits available to you.

Benefits for the sick and disabled