Building warranties and insurance

Protection for new homes and renovations

If work comes to a halt, or you're not satisfied with any aspect of it, you can rest easy if it's insured. There are a range of warranty and insurance products now available to cover your building works.

New build homes

Local Authority Building Control (LABC) provides a warranty for new residential units. The LABC Warranty consists of products that cover

  • new speculative residential developments
  • social or shared housing projects
  • self-build projects.

The warranty is administered by MD Insurance Services Ltd. More about the LABC Warranty is available on the LABC website.

Home cover for existing domestic dwellings

Sometimes things go wrong even though you have taken all the proper steps to be safe. Perhaps your builder stops trading or the work is not to the standard you expected. In these cases it can be reassuring to have insurance cover to fall back on. The Masterbond Warranty through the Federation of Master Builders (FMB) may be just what you are looking for.

The FMB offers a 10-year warranty scheme to protect their customers' interests in the event of problems with building work. For more information call 08000 965 765.

Commercial cover

Latent Gold offers insurance against latent defects occurring on commercial properties.

Further information

Some of these products can only be accessed via Royal Borough of Greenwich Building Control, others can be obtained regardless of your chosen building control body.

Find out more on the LABC website or contact Building Control for further details.