Financial help you can get

The financial support you can claim if you're made redundant depends on your circumstances and how long you've been working.

Redundancy pay

You should get statutory redundancy pay (Gov.UK) if you've been working for the same employer for at least two years.


You may be able to get contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance. This depends on how many national insurance contributions you have made.

If you can't get contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance, you may be able to get one of the following benefits:

Contact Welfare Rights for advice on which benefit to claim on 020 8921 6375.

Other support

If you rent your home or pay council tax, you may be able to get Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support for help towards rent and council tax if you're not already claiming it.

Please note: If you're already getting housing benefit, you must notify the council if you stop work or your income changes (including if your tax credits go up or down).

If you own your home, you may be able to get financial help for homeowners towards mortgage payments.

Contact Welfare Rights for a free benefits check on 020 8921 6375.

If you're receiving tax credits

You must notify the Tax Credits Office within one month if you stop work to avoid being overpaid or underpaid.

If you're receiving Working Tax Credit, these payments can continue for an extra four weeks after you stop work.

Contact Welfare Rights

Welfare Rights enquiry form

Public Advice Line: 020 8921 6375

Textphone number: 18001 020 8921 6375

Fax: 020 8921 2016

Welfare Rights Service,
The Woolwich Centre,
35 Wellington Street,
London SE18 6HQ