Financial help for older people who need care

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a benefit for people aged 65 or over who need frequent help because of their sickness or disability.

Find out how to claim Attendance Allowance (Gov.UK)

If you are under 65 years old you may qualify for Personal Independence Payment.

Find out about Personal Independence Payment

Who can claim

You can get Attendance Allowance if you:

  • need a lot of help looking after yourself with things like washing, dressing, eating, bathing, going to the toilet, medication or communicating with other people (for example because you cannot see or hear)
  • need supervision to keep you safe from falls or accidents.

You must have needed help for at least six months (unless you are terminally ill, then you can get help straight away).

You can get Attendance Allowance even if:

  • no one is giving you the help you need and you live alone. You do not have to be paying a carer and it is up to you how you spend the money
  • you get help from the Royal Borough or the health service
  • you have other money coming in or savings.

Attendance Allowance is not taxable and can be paid on top of any other benefits or pensions you already have.

Further information

Contact the Welfare Rights team for more information.

Contact Welfare Rights

Welfare Rights enquiry form

Public Advice Line: 020 8921 6375

Textphone number: 18001 020 8921 6375

Fax: 020 8921 2016

Welfare Rights Service,
The Woolwich Centre,
35 Wellington Street,
London SE18 6HQ