Financial help for carers

Carer's Credit

Carer's Credit was introduced on 6 April 2010 for people of state pension age on or after this date.

It is a credit for people who care for one or more disabled people for 20 hours or more per week. Carer's Credit can help you build up a better basic or additional state pension.

Who can get Carer's Credit?

You can get Carer's Credit if you are looking after one or more people for 20 hours per week, where the cared-for person or people receive:

  • Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or highest rate, or
  • Personal Independence Payment daily living component (any rate), or 
  • Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance or have a completed care certificate.

What is a care certificate?

A care certificate is a two-sided form in the Carer's Credit claim pack for a health or social care professional to confirm that the person cared for needs the number of hours of weekly care that the carer states they provide.

Please note: you will only need this if the person you care for does not get one of the above benefits.

Who does not need to claim?

  • people who are already paying contributions
  • people who get Carer's Allowance
  • people who get Child Benefit for a child under the age of 12
  • foster carers who get National Insurance credits from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
  • people who get Income Support because they are a carer
  • people who know they have already qualified for their state pension.

How to claim

You can claim for this benefit by filling out the Carer's Credit form.

Visit the Gov.UK website to download the form. You can also phone the Carer's Allowance Unit for a claim pack.

Contact Welfare Rights

Welfare Rights enquiry form

Public Advice Line: 020 8921 6375

Textphone number: 18001 020 8921 6375

Fax: 020 8921 2016

Welfare Rights Service,
The Woolwich Centre,
35 Wellington Street,
London SE18 6HQ