Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment is a benefit that helps adults aged 16 to 64 with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill health or disability. It has gradually replaced Disability Living Allowance since 2013.

Find out more about Personal Independence Payment (Gov.UK)

Who can get Personal Independence Payment

You may be able to get Personal Independence Payment if you:

  • are aged 16 to 64
  • satisfy the residence conditions (Citizen's Advice website)
  • have a long-term physical or mental illness or disability and have difficulties with daily living or problems getting around - you must have needed help for at least three months before your claim and expect to need it for nine months afterwards.

You can get Personal Independence Payment immediately if you're terminally ill.

Please note: You can get Personal Independence Payment even if you're in work and/or have savings.

You can also get Personal Independence Payment if you live alone and don't have a carer. You can still claim even if you get help from the health service or local authority.

How Personal Independence Payment is awarded

Personal Independence Payment is awarded on points in activities in two areas:

  • daily living
  • mobility.

You must score a certain number of points to qualify.

Daily living

You may get the daily living component if you need help with daily living activities.

View a list of daily living activities

Daily living activities are:

  • washing and bathing
  • dressing and undressing
  • communicating verbally
  • engaging with other people face-to-face
  • preparing food
  • taking nutrition
  • managing therapy
  • monitoring a health condition
  • managing toilet needs or incontinence
  • reading and understanding signs and symbols
  • making budgeting decisions.


You may get the mobility component if you need help to plan and follow a journey or have problems moving around.

For more detail on activities and on how points are awarded, download our Personal Independence Payment factsheet.

How to claim Personal Independence Payment

Applications for Personal Independence Payment are handled by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Claim the Personal Independence Payment (Gov.UK)

How much you get

The daily living and mobility components are paid at two rates: standard and enhanced. You may get just one component or both components.

Personal Independence Payment - Payment Rates
Component Rate Amount per week
Daily living Standard £57.30
Daily living Enhanced £85.60
Mobility Standard £22.65
Mobility Enhanced £59.75

If you get Disability Living Allowance

If you're currently claiming Disability Living Allowance, the DWP will write to you and invite you to claim Personal Independence Payment if you:

  • are aged 16 to 64 and have reported a change in your care or mobility needs
  • have a Disability Living Allowance award which ended on or after 22 June 2015
  • reached your 65th birthday after 8 April 2013
  • are nearly 16.

The DWP is also contacting some recipients of Disability Living Allowance randomly so you may also be invited to claim Personal Independence Payment even if you're not in any of the above categories.

The DWP has said it expects to issue all invitations to claim Personal Independence Payment by late 2017.

Please note - Your Disability Living Allowance will stop if you don't respond to the invitation to claim Personal Independence Payment.

Personal Independence Payment and other benefits

If you're awarded Personal Independence Payment, you may be able to claim other linked benefits and tax credits or your existing benefits may increase. To make sure any linked benefits are adjusted, you need to notify the Tax Credits office and the relevant benefits offices (Revenues and Benefits, for example) as soon as you're awarded Personal Independence Payment.

Contact the Welfare Rights Service to check if you can get any other help, call 020 8921 6375.