Advertisements and signs

Permission to advertise

Planning permission is needed for most signs associated with a commercial property.

Signs belonging to residential properties, such as 'Beware of the Dog', do not normally require permission if they are not bigger than 0.3 square metres.

Signage attached to a listed building will require listed building consent.

Further information

You can download guides and find out more about advertisements and planning permission on the Department of Communities and Local Government's (DCLG) website and in the Planning Portal.

Learn about advertising consent (Planning Portal)