Greenwich Heritage Centre
Learn about local history
The Heritage Centre brings together the former Borough Museum and local history library to offer a wealth of information and fascinating displays about the history of Royal Greenwich.
Bringing the past alive
- A free exhibition, 'Inside the Arsenal' tells the amazing story of the Royal Arsenal and the surrounding area through the lives of the people who lived and worked there.
- With an extensive and growing collection of documents and books, photographs and maps, and prints and drawings, the Heritage Centre is the perfect place to explore the background of your family or area.
- The centre offers a range of activities, from talks and lectures to a Saturday club for children, while our talks for schools are proving very popular among students and teachers alike.
Take some of these memories home buy books and souvenirs at the Heritage Centre shop.
Extensive historical recordsAmong our collection are administrative and church records dating back to the 1600s. Items in the collection include:
- maps from the seventeenth century to the present day
- files of local newspapers from 1834 to date
- a Plumstead deed document of 1387 (the centre's oldest document!)
The Heritage Centre is constantly securing additional items - both old and new - for the collection.
The centre, with its wonderful views of the Thames, is great for conferences, exhibitions and trade fairs.