Mental health services

Advice for people with mental illnesses

If you think you are experiencing mental illness, the first step is to visit your GP. You will then be referred to the Oxleas NHS Trust who will arrange for you to see a psychiatrist. Once your problem has been diagnosed, a care programme will be developed based on your needs.

Mental health services in Royal Greenwich cover:

  • general services for adults and older people
  • child and adolescent services
  • forensic psychiatry and challenging behaviour services
  • learning disability services.

There are also a range of facilities which include:

  • acute wards in hospitals
  • residential homes
  • community teams available in the high street
  • secure units.


Once someone has been diagnosed with a mental illness, the treatments available include:

  • inpatient treatment in hospital
  • therapy and counselling by psychologists
  • support from psychiatric nurses and community support workers.


Your GP will refer you to the relevant centre after assessing your needs.